For those who may be unfamiliar with midwifery services we’d like to briefly summarize the care we provide. Registered midwives provide comprehensive prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum care for moms and infants to 6 weeks of age.
- Our scope is low risk obstetrical clients with no major health issues at the onset of pregnancy such as IDDM, hypertension or those with cardiac problems
- Clients apply directly for care, as no referral is needed, and start visits between 10-12 weeks
- Midwifery services are covered by OHIP
- 24/7 access to care
- Choice of birthplace-home or hospital
- Active privileges at OTMH and MDH, with access to epidural services
- Initial postpartum visits are at home, and frequent until feeding well established
- Provide care to women who have had previous caesarean sections and offer TOLAC when appropriate
- Ideal for teens, single moms, newcomers and others with more complex social needs
- Clients are referred back to you for non-obstetrical concerns or when requiring tests/medications that are currently not in our scope (ie Tdap vaccine in third trimester)
- Referral to appropriate specialist if complications arise
- Notice of birth is sent following delivery, and a summary of the care will be provided to you upon discharge at 6 weeks
Please contact call us at (905)338-8004 if you’d like any further information. We would welcome the opportunity to come meet you in your office. We look forward to working with you!